ARTICLE I Name.
Whirl-A-Ways Square Dance Club.
ARTICLE II Purpose.
To have fun and promote square dancing.
ARTICLE III Membership:
- Prospective members shall be 13 years of age or older or be the children of active members of the club, attend three regular club dances, and be deemed qualified by active club members.
- Prospective members shall submit a completed application to the club Secretary or President. The application will be read at the next meeting or regular dance. Applicants will be declared club members when approved by a 2/3 vote of the eligible voting members present at the following meeting or dance.
- No individual shall be refused membership because of race, color or creed.
B. Honorary Lifetime
- Purpose: This award is primarily intended to recognize and honor a Whirl-A-Ways club member who has a history of significant contributions to the Whirl-A-Ways club over the years. Their contributions to the square dance community in general is only a secondary consideration.
a. Any active club member may submit the name of any other club member. This should be submitted to the Board in writing, listing the reasons why they think that this person or couple are deserving of this award.
b. The Board will then discuss the proposal and make a presentation to the club membership for a vote.
c. The club President will decide who shall make the presentation of this award that conveys the club’s thanks and gratitude.
- Benefits to the Honorary Lifetime Member:
a. Public recognition of their contributions.
b. Certificate of Award
c. A Lifetime voting membership in the club.
d. No further payment of dues required.
- Ending Honorary Lifetime membership. Membership can be ended:
a. Request of the Honorary Lifetime member.
b. Lack of a forwarding address.
c. Death of the member.
ARTICLE IV Dues and fees:
- The dues shall be approved by a simple majority of eligible voting members present at a business meeting. Dues are effective for the year beginning April 1 and delinquent after May 30. New members who join during the year shall pay for the portion on a quarterly basis.
- Honorary Lifetime members do not pay any dues.
- Voting privileges at business meetings shall be extended only to those members present whose dues are current or are no more than one month in arrears.
- A delinquent member shall be deemed inactive and dropped from the club mailing list.
- Admission fees for the dances for the year shall be approved by a simple majority of eligible voting members present at the fall business meeting, except that the club officers may set a different admission fee for special dances such as, but not limited to, Christmas.
- In the event of dissolution of the club, all remaining club assets will be donated to a non-profit organization. The specific organization will be determined at the time of dissolution.
ARTICLE V Officers:
- The elected officers of the club shall be: President, Vice-President, Secretary, Dance Coordinator, and Treasurer. The candidates for office shall have been active members for a period of one year and will serve for one year if elected. The current President shall appoint a nominating committee prior to March 1. The committee shall recommend to the membership a slate of candidates at the business meeting in April. Nominations may also be made from the floor at that business meeting. Candidates must signify, at least verbally, their acceptance of the nomination.
- Voting shall be conducted by secret ballot at the April business meeting. Ties will be broken by a toss of a coin. In the event that there is only one nominee for each office at the April business meeting, those nominees may be declared elected by a majority vote of eligible members present and voting. The results of the election will be communicated by the Secretary to the Emerald Empire Area and Oregon Federation of Square and Round Clubs Secretaries prior to May 1.
- Should the office of President become vacant, it shall be filled by the Vice-President. The office of Vice-President will then be filled by appointment by the new President. In event of a vacancy in the office of Vice-President, it shall be filled by appointment by the President. In the event of a vacancy in the office of Secretary, Treasurer, or Dance Coordinator, it shall be filled by appointment by the President or by the Vice-President acting for the President.
ARTICLE VI Amendments:
- This Constitution may be amended by a 2/3 majority vote of those eligible voting members present and voting at any business meeting, provided written notice stating the amendment to be considered has been given to all eligible voting members by the Secretary at least 14 days prior to such voting.
ARTICLE I Officers’ duties:
- The President shall preside at all business meetings and direct the activities of the club, including arranging for an audit of the books of the club prior to the termination of his or her office.
- The Vice-President shall act in the absence of the President, be in charge of the kitchen committees, and select the welcoming committee. The Vice-President shall also be responsible for the club’s new dancer program.
- The Secretary shall take care of all correspondence, take minutes of all Board and business meetings and present a copy of minutes to the President prior to the next Board meeting, read minutes and correspondence at meetings, and render assistance to the President and other officers when called upon.
- The Treasurer shall collect and record all club membership dues and notify the President of delinquent members as outlined in Article IV, Para. 1. of the Constitution, make an accounting of all dance monies, pay caller and cuer their contract fee and their allocated percentage, be responsible for compiling a current membership list by the first dance in October, prepare a Treasurer’s report for submission to the club at each business meeting, and render assistance to the President as he or she may request.
- The Dance Coordinator will schedule and arrange for visitations to other clubs, for any additional special dances hosted by the club, and for the co-ordination of the club emblems, banners and badges. This person may have the assistance of a dance committee whose members will be appointed by the President.
ARTICLE II Meetings and dance schedule:
- Business meetings shall be held in January, April and September, at a time and place which has been communicated to the membership. The meetings shall be conducted in accordance with the current Robert’s Rules of Order.
- Dances shall be held on the second and fourth Saturday of each month from September through June. Square Dance attire is appreciated but not mandatory.
- A dance schedule for the months of July and August may be set each year by a simple majority vote of eligible voting members at a meeting or dance in May or June.
ARTICLE III Amendments:
- These By-Laws may be amended by a 2/3 vote of the eligible voting members present and voting at an official business meeting provided a 14 day written notice has been given to all eligible members by the Secretary.
ARTICLE IV Associate members
- Our beginner class members are associate, non-voting members of the club.